Tuesday, December 16, 2014

a few things about Beckham

Our little boy is growing up right before our eyes, and there are about a million things that I want to remember about him - right here, right now.  Maybe it is the fact that baby #2 is well on their way here, but the thought of this cute boy growing up so fast is making me a little sad.  I have been reminded over and over again that this moment in time will never happen again.  I am a stay at home mommy with ONE child to think about, play with, and focus on.  This time will be a sweet memory to me and I love every little piece of this boy.
Due to my broken camera (I'm weeping. Seriously!), I have had to rely on other means of photos.  My niece, Rachel, is a wonderful photographer, and all of the cute photos in this post are credited to her.

Here are a few things I love about Beckham at 2 years and 3 months old

*Beckham adores his dad. When Dad gets home, you can bet that Beckham is his little shadow. At night, Daddy puts Beckham to bed, and if he wakes in the middle of the night, the first word out of Beckham's mouth is, "Daddy." Beckham even likes to pretend to lift weights (or in his case dough rolling pins) just like Dad.  Dad has a really big impression on this boy.  He learns a lot from him. It is sometimes very difficult for this boy to say goodbye to Dad when he goes to work. He pretends to be Daddy all day long - wearing hats and talking on a phone (He tells me that he's working). Simply said, Beckham loves Dad and I don't blame him. Dad is pretty cool!
*Puzzles and blocks are this kid's forte. Beckham is really good at them and quite enjoys playing with them. 

*However, he still LOVES his superheros and animals.  We line them up every single morning and talk to them like best friends.

*In his playing, I find that he is playing more and more pretend games with himself.  It shows me what he sees us doing and trying to imitate those actions.  He is really good at cooking, going to work, and putting his stuffed animals to bed.  And, I am happy that those are the things that he is learning from us.

*Reading is this boy's happy place.  He loves to sit in our bean bag chair and have someone read to him.  He is quickly growing out of the simple board books and prefers to listen to longer stories.  He also enjoys reading them to himself and his toys.  I love to listen to him jabber away at the pictures and repeat phrases that I say in the books.  I am so glad that this boy loves to read. 
*Although I am considerably bias, I must say, Beckham is smart! He has his colors down.  Well, the basics.  He knows his numbers very well and is learning the alphabet right now. I am really impressed how well he knows his shapes too.  Beckham understands things quite quickly and he always amazes me with all the new knowledge he picks up.

*Beckham loves to play ninja, wrestling, jumping, running, and dancing.  He is an active boy, and I thank the heavens every day that he has Jason to play those things with.  I'm not too much of a wrestler, you know!
*Beckham says some of the funniest things! He definitely understands more than we think, and to prove it, Beckham will show me all the new words and phrases he has learned. Some of them are: "Oh me gosh!", "Fruitcake!", "Uh-oh spagettios!", "Dan' it", "Yeah. K!", "Pure awesomeness!", and "Stop 'at!"

*His response to, "I love you" is simply, "too."  It makes me smile.

*Beckham plays pretty well with other kids. He is quick to make friends and is getting really good at sharing toys. This makes his Mom's heart happy.

*Our boy loves to sing. He is a very good singer and likes to grace us with I am a Child of God and I Love to see the Temple. He knows all the lyrics to those ones. However, he also likes to sing along to the radio (head bobbing - mind you!) with Jason and me. Those favorite songs include: Home by Phillip Phillips, Upside Down by Jack Johnson, and Ho Hey by The Lumineers.
*We have a tease on our hands.  He finds laughter in teasing Mom and Dad and we quite enjoy that playful side of Beckham. Every time he teases and plays, he shows it in his eyes. He rolls his eyes or looks upward and smirks. He knows he is being silly and a tease. It makes us laugh. 

*Beckham has a kind heart. He is one of the first ones to notice a sad child and sometimes can't help but give that poor kid a hug no matter where we are. He expresses thanks for just about anything. Sometimes when his heart is just full and ready to burst, he hugs someone or gives them a kiss. Beckham really is a sweetheart. 

*He also has a bit if a tender heart. When he does something wrong, he sometimes  sits down and cries out of sheer embarrassment. We will tell him that it's okay because it was an accident, but he just wants so much to be a good boy. For him, nothing is worse than disappointment from Mom or Dad; it just makes his little heart break.

*Beckham throws the worst tantrums right now.  He really is a good boy, but when his world ends, the tantrums are huge.  It makes me sad, because no one can help him when he is out of control.  Most times, he actually puts himself in time out to help him calm down.   This is something that I am looking forward to outgrowing, but it has taught me quite a bit about myself.  Truth be told, we have some special memories together in that quiet moment after the tantrum when Beckham only wants me, and we can talk together.
*I love that Beckham knows about Jesus.  He tells me every day something about Jesus and that, "I 'ike 'im."  It simply melts my heart.  As of recently, he REALLY wants to be baptized like his cousins because that is what Jesus wants us to do.  He also tells me that, "Jesus wants keep commandments."  His current bed time story that only Daddy tells is David and Goliath.  Daddy talks to him about how Jesus is our friend and wants us to be good.  All through the day, Beckham retells me and his toys the story.  He also likes to inform me that he is a child of God and so is Mom and Dad.  He is a sweet boy that is always teaching us about our Savior. I love that he knows Him. 
I love having Beckham in my life.  He brings a lot of happiness to our little family, and we count our lucky stars everyday that this boy is ours.

No comments: